Scared of tofu? No need to be! This is a simple salad that uses tofu as it’s source of protein. When shallow fried tofu goes crispy on the outside but stays soft on the inside giving it a nice texture and the great thing is that tofu takes whichever taste you give it, making it a very versatile ingredient. The tofu is first dipped in cornflour and spices such as parpika and cumin and then shallow fried until crispy. The salad element also has the refreshing tastes mint and coriander contrasted by some heat from the fresh chilli, and Asian influenced flavours with a peanut butter, soya sauce and lime dressing. All these different flavours play around in your mouth, and the best part is that it takes all of 15 minutes to make. If you use extra firm ‘eco’ tofu then no prior preparation is necessary. When using regular firm tofu it will need to be pressed in order to remove as much water from it as possible. Pressing tofu doesn’t require anything high tech at all. Simply wrap the block of tofu in several layers of kitchen paper, place on a plate and place another plate on top of the block. Put 2-3 cans of food on top so it presses the tofu and leave for 30 minutes to 1 hour (the longer the better). Remove and pat dry, and it is ready to be used!
- 250g extra firm (or pressed) tofu
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 0.5 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- a few handfuls of salad greens
- 1 tsp crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- squeeze of lime juice
- 1 tbsp water
- Start by chopping the tofu into bite size pieces.
- To a plate add the cornflour, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Mix with a fork and dip the pieces of tofu to coat each side.
- Once the tofu pieces are coated shallow fry them on a medium to high heat so they go crispy on the outside and a golden brown colour.
- You may need to do them in a couple of batches but it only takes 5 minutes for the tofu to get crispy on all sides.
- While the tofu is cooking you can prepare the salad dressing by adding the peanut butter, olive oil, soy sauce, agave nectar, lime juice and some water to a small bowl and mix well with a fork or a small whisk. It may seem like the ingredients don’t mix but they will eventually form a paste which you can think down with more water to make a dressing.
- Finely chop the mint and coriander and slice the chilli, add to a plate with a couple of handfuls of salad leaves.
- Add the tofu pieces to the salad and sprinkle the peanut dressing on top.