I have to admit I love to bake biscuits (or cookies as they are known elsewhere!) more than I love baking a cake because they are easier to make and also much quicker to bake and cool down. When I get a craving I can’t help to fulfill it soon enough, so cookies are perfect. These biscuits (or cookies) are based on the my mantecados recipe which uses oil and is suitable for vegetarians and vegans. Mantecados are flavoured with lemon zest and a bit of cinnamon, however these cinnamon cookies use only cinnamon (and quite a lot of it!).
To complement the cinnamon I also use soft brown sugar. You can use dark brown sugar for a more caramelly flavour but light brown sugar works very well too. This gives a biscuit that is crunchy on the outside, ever so slightly soft in the middle, sweet, caramelly and so cinnamony! They are a bit like the Biscoff Lotus biscuits (one of my favourites) except that theirs are much thinner and crunchier. Also there is a certain pleasure in making it yourself and infusing the entire apartment with the aroma of cinnamon!
These cinnamon cookies are so easy to make, have just a few ingredients and happen to be vegan! They have an intense cinnamon flavour with hints of caramel and are so incredibly moreish.
- 200g self raising flour
- 100g soft dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 120ml sunflower oil
- pinch of salt
- Sieve the flour and cinnamon into a bowl and add a little pinch of salt which will help bring out the flavours.
- In another bowl add the soft brown sugar and with your hands make sure there are no clumps and that the sugar is uniformly smooth.
- Add the sugar to the flour, and add the oil.
- Mix well with a spoon until the mixture is uniform in texture and there is no flour left to form the dough.
- Line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Take a ball of dough, about 3 cm (a little over an inch) in diameter, place on the baking tray and flatten with your fingers to about 1cm in thickness.
- Place on the baking tray with about 3-4 centimetres in separation between each one as they will spread out a bit when in the oven.
- Sprinkle the top of each biscuit with some granulated sugar (optional)
- Place in a fan oven at 150C for about 12-14 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, allow to cool and try not to eat them all at once!