This is a staple in most tapas bars in Gibraltar and the southern tip of Spain at least, knows as ‘tomates aliñados‘. This salad is so simple and flavoursome, probably not for you if you’re not a garlic lover but that is certainly not an issue around these parts! You could even say this is a tomato carpaccio.
It is important to choose large beef tomatoes which are ripe but firm and to use coarse sea salt or salt flakes. It is also important to use good quality extra virgin olive oil to drizle on top, and to be generous with it! This goes well as a side dish especially in hot weather as aside dish to share.
- 2 large ‘beef’ tomatoes
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- coarse sea salt
- pinch of oregano or ground cumin
- extra virgin olive oil
- Thinly slice 2 large beef tomatoes, about half a centimetre in width (quarter of an inch) and lay them on a serving dish.
- Finely chop 2 large cloves of garlic (adjust to taste) and sprinkle on top
- Sprinkle generously with coarse sea salt or salt flakes.
- Sprinkle a pinch of oregano (optional), or a pinch of ground cumin is also popular.
- Marinade with a generous helping of extra virgin olive oil and serve.